[bksvol-discuss] tables converting to text Jamie's great tip

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:07:47 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends

I'd rather not know how many hours I've struggled to replace tables with text. Often the columns are off and get more unmatched as the table continues. Often JAWS and I have mixed results trying to read the table and editing it is nearly impossible, especially getting mismatched columns to line up properly.

Recently Jamie sent the following instructions to the list. Her I did a find to locate her message and it saved me a huge amount of work on a book I'll be able to upload early this evening.

Here is her short, very effective tip for converting tables to text in Microsoft word.

To convert a table in word you just make sure your cursor is in the table, press Alt-A for the table menu, V for convert and B for table to text.

This tip has made editing so fast and easy and the resulting information in text format conveyed the table information exactly. It is very hard for some people to visually skip the wide distance between columns in some tables and remain on the same line. In text, these columns can be separated by commas or dashes or whatever.

When you press b, in the last step of Jamie's tip, you get a dialogue box where you can choose how you want to separate columns with tabs, etc. There is even a place to type in how you want to mark the gap between or start of information in the next column.

I went to Jakes site to see if Jamie's tip, or one like it was there and didn't find it. I don't know if my link is as up to date as it should be, but her tip really belongs on the list of Jakes tips. Cindy W, you might also want to include this tip in the manual you are developing adding information about the dialogue box which pops up when you press the b.

Thank you, Jamie!

Always with love,

Lissi