[bksvol-discuss] Re: submitted 14 books

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:42:54 -0500

Hi all,

Carrie, I hate to be a stickler, really I do, but Sci-Fi is only used by the uninitiated, The correct title of the Genre is Science Fiction, please. Calling it Sci-Fi is demeaning it. It has become a respected genre these days and the time during which it was delegated to pulp magazines and out-of-the-way presses has long past! Ivy League colleges now give acredited classes in the genre in their literature departments. Authors like Asimov and Zahn and Simack, and Niven and Clarke have given this genre a stature and respect which should be acknowledged especially by readers and librarians which is what we are.

Also, Fantasy is *not* to be glumped together with Science Fiction! They are two separate genres! In this field too, there are towering authors whose writing is stellar. It would be stellar no matter which genre it was, but they have chosen to write Fantasy. Please, please, do not mix these two or glump them together. Below please find your list and their correct genre designation accompanying them.