[bksvol-discuss] Re: question about sentence structure/punctuation

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 01:40:52 -0400

Maybe it can be checked on Google?
Then you would know explicitly.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Scott Blanks
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:12 PM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] question about sentence structure/punctuation

  Hey everyone,

  In a recently-completed scan, the author dealt with dialog in a less common
way than I generally see. The author is British, and therefore the approach may
be something more common in that part of the world.

  What I would see is something like the following sentence:

  The momentary silence allowed me to say "Where are we going?"

  So, the sentence starts with a few words, then leads into the line of dialog.
Should there be a comma after the final word preceding the start of dialog? Or
can this go either way?

  Scott