[bksvol-discuss] Re: m dash

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:05:42 -0500

Lissi,

? is a valid ASCII character.  It is actually a long dash, but JAWS is
configured to call it em dash in the dictionary.  Writers use it all the
time to put a stray thought in the middle or at the end of a sentence.  You
might have not seen it before, though, because not all of the OCR packages
distinguish between a hyphen, a long dash, and the shorter dash ? which JAWS
refers to as en dash.  These are normal.  Don't worry about them.

Gerald