[bksvol-discuss] Re: braille translator

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:10:20 -0500

Yeah, that's been a pet peeve of mine as well. I used a program called Hot Dots back in the early 1990s that could do a better job than the one Bookshare has. Which makes me wonder if the braille translator is getting the original rtf file or something altered beforehand. It's hard for me to understand how a modern braille translator could get an rtf file with blank lines where they were in the original book, italics and bold text and so on, but somehow leave all that stuff out of the brf file.

Incidentally, italics and bold text are vital for textbooks, as they are used a lot to highlight important terms and definitions. So replicating them in the braille versions should be a priority I would think.

Evan