[bksvol-discuss] Re: blank blank blank blahs

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:04:40 -0600

Lissi,

My guess is that Robin's correct.  Try holding down the Insert key then
hitting F to check the font when you have this problem.  JAWS will then tell
you the font plus the font size along with attributes like italics and bold
if there are any.  I've seen JAWS have trouble with small fonts as well as
extremely large fonts, and I've seen it have problems with normal sized
fonts sometimes when the characters are italicized, bolded, or some
combination of attributes other than normal.  When JAWS has problems, it
sometimes refuses to read the line, and it sometimes reads the prior line
instead of the current  line.  If you find that the font size and attributes
aren't ones you normally see, then try setting them to something you are
familiar with and see if JAWS reads the line correctly then.

You should also try Jake's suggestion of refreshing the text that JAWS can
see by hitting Ctrl-Esc, but I'd imagine that this hasn't been your problem
if you've closed Word then reopened it and still had the problem.  It could
still be that, though if rebooting helps fix the problem, so give it a try.

HTH

Gerald