[bksvol-discuss] Re: bad font

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:55:23 -0600

How annoying!
When I saw the following statement in the beginning of a book I started to
scan recently I was really scared.
"The display type is sixth century Roman Calligraphy from Arthur Baker's
Historic Calligraphic Alphabets (New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1980)."
It actually scanned just fine.  I begin to think they were only talking
about some part of the book not all of it, but it didn't mention anything
about any certain element of the book.  I did end up having a problem with
it, but it was the binding causing text near the margins to be cut off.  For
that reason I finally gave up on it and brought it back to the library.

About the paragraph problem. I'm not sure there is anything you can do to
make sure each paragraph is identified when scanned.  To create a new
paragraph all you can do is press enter where you want the new paragraph to
start.  I think in the attempt to guess where paragraphs start and end
instead of just keeping all line breaks Kurzweil will sometimes get extra
ones and sometimes miss one.  It is still a lot better than not trying to
guess at all and having a mess of line breaks everywhere.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/