[bksvol-discuss] Two Treasure Trove submissions

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:58:49 -0500

Here are two Treasure Trove submissions.  The CF card is getting a good
cleaning out, smile, even though I keep adding to the list, smile.  Both of
these have been read through, headers stripped, chapter titles protected,
and junk characters gone.

A Dog Named Chips: The Life and Adventures of a Mongrel Scamp
By Albert Payson Terhune

From the Book Jacket:
These are the superb stories of Albert Payson Terhune. The classic story, A
Dog Named Chips, first published in 1931, is now available in a new
large-print version.
Born a ragamuffin mongrel, Chips had a longing for purple and fine linen,
for all the luxuries of a millionaire's world. Escaping from home in a
sports car, he insinuated himself into the heart of the ninth richest woman
in America, dominated her household, patched up a budding romance, and even
got himself abducted and held for ransom.
But the climax of his career came in a brief visit to the Philadelphia dog
pound. As a result of this excursion into unknown territory, Chips presented
his unsuspecting mistress, with a litter of seven.
In the end, Chips received her final triumph-a new and royal
name-"Cleopatra, formerly Chips." Hilarious and exciting, this is a book for
every dog lover.

Afraid to Ride
By C.W. Anderson

Judy was looking forward to riding camp, but it wasn't what she had dreamed
of.  The horses are bad tempered, the riders don't have control, and Judy
becomes terrified that someday she may fall off and be trampled.  One day
she is assigned Duke, a disastrous horse, and when she recovered from the
accident, Judy is terrified to get back in the saddle.  Mr. Jeffers her
former riding instructor has an inspiration, perhaps Judy could regain her
love of horses, if perhaps she had a horse who needed to regain her trust in
human beings.  With a wrecked mare, Fair lady, Judy learns to love horses
again, and learns that she has a truly spectacular horse.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Alumni Association Board
www.guidedogs.com

More than Any other time, When I hold a beloved book in my hand, my
- Helen Keller