[bksvol-discuss] TT Book submitted: Sharks

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:23:45 -0500

Here is a World Life Library submission, for you nature enthusiasts.  These
books are fairly small, only about 80 pages, but contain some truly
fascinating facts and wonderful descriptive text.  I found the series to be
really easy to read and have learned a lot from the books I have done.

Sharks
By Doug Perez

From the Book Jacket:

There are some 375 recognised species of sharks around the world, with
exciting discoveries of
new species every year. Like so many creatures of the underwater world,
researchers are only
just beginning to understand sharks and their life in a delicate marine
habitat.

SHARKS explores the changing times of these often misunderstood creatures.
Popularly
described as 'killers' and 'primitive', recent research reveals that they
are rarely dangerous to
humans and that they have evolved into sophisticated hunters, with unique
adaptations to sustain
them as top marine predators.

Despite their resilience, sharks have not yet developed a protection against
unnatural pressures
from mankind. Fishing, sporting interests and pollution now account for the
death of some 100
million sharks every year. Clearly, swift and far-reaching conservation
measures are necessary to
secure the healthy future of sharks, and the priceless balance of their
marine environment.

Discover the world's most-loved animals in the Worldlife Library by Voyageur
Press. This highly acclaimed series brings you the latest research and the
personal experiences of international authorities and leading naturalists.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Alumni Association Board
www.guidedogs.com

More than Any other time, When I hold a beloved book in my hand, my
- Helen Keller