[bksvol-discuss] Suggestion for the Friends of BookShare Posse

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 05:06:33 -0500

One of the repeating discussions on this list is about which scanner to
purchase.  This is understandable because it's hard to pay attention or
retain the information shared if you're not in the market for buying a
scanner when the discussion is going on.  And of course, as new scanners
come on the market, there's always more to share anyway.

So I make the following suggestion without any knowledge of how difficult
this might be and with no expertise to help make it happen.

In addition to the wish list, could the friends of BookShare web site
collect reviews of scanners from BookShare volunteers?  I'm thinking about a
form that would contain:

*       Name and e-mail of the reviewer
*       Date of the review
*       Type of scanner being reviewed
*       Cost with or without shipping current at the time of the review or
purchase
*       And of course, the review of its features and usability such as
speed and quality.

This way when the question comes up, we can direct the person to this list
of reviews and then provide any supplemental information that may not be
available already.  I for instance, have used three different scanners and
could review all three.

Just something to think about, and if anyone wants to give me a crash course
in how to create such a page on the friends of BookShare web site, I'd be
glad to put some time into it.

Donna