[bksvol-discuss] Submitted/nonfiction

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:24:03 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted for proofing "White Like Me: Reflections on Race From a
Privileged Son" by Tim Wise.

It has been read through w/errors corrected; headers stripped; chapter
titles/page numbers present/protected; text formatted.
191 pages. I suggest to the proofer that the "adult" rating be removed.

Synopsis:
"White Like Me is a personal examination of the way in which racial
privilege shapes the lives of white Americans in every realm of daily life:
employment, education, housing, criminal justice and elsewhere.  Using
stories from his own life, Tim Wise demonstrates the ways in which racism
not only burdens people of color, but also benefits in relative terms, those
who are "white like him. " Wise also discusses the ways in which racial
privilege can harm whites in the long run and make progressive social change
less likely.  Using stories instead of stale statistics, Wise weaves a
narrative that is at once readable and yet scholarly; analytical and yet
accessible.

Deborah

database 5378 (20100819) __________

http://www.eset.com