[bksvol-discuss] Re: Submitted book and Mozilla suite

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:16:35 -0600

Too bad Internet Explorer is the only browser out there that works at all
well with screen readers.  Internet explorer is very slow and full of
security holes, but at least it works.
I always wonder if it is the screen reader makers that are to blaim for the
fact that only Explorer works, or if it is the companies that make the
browsers.  Maybe Microsoft is to blaim for copyrighting everything that
makes Explorer work well?

I started to suspect just how slow Explorer was when I tried the
encyclopedia lookup feature in Kurzweil.  Kurzweil loads everything pretty
slowly, but I am absolutely certain it loads those encyclopedia articles
much faster than any page is loaded in Explorer, and that is with show
pictures off on a DSL connection.

I have heard that firefox has an option to have a cursor as well as the
mouse pointer, which might or might not help to make it usable with a screen
reader.  Has anyone tried it?
I'm just glad that screen readers give us all the extra navigation options,
so at least once the page loads we can navigate quickly.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/