[bksvol-discuss] Submitted: Age of Access

  • From: jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 06:06:18 -0800 (PST)

Submitted: The Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where all of
Life is a Paid-For Experience by Jeremy Rifkin 2000.

I've read the book. It is an excellent books. Easy validation.

We are in the midst of a new age in which "concepts, ideas and images--not
things--are the real items of value" and where "the purchase of lived
experiences becomes the consummate commodity
Today's companies avoid amassing physical capital, which can later prove "an
albatross" that prevents them from keeping up with rapid technological
advances. Instead, they prefer to "outsource ownership," contracting third
parties to provide and maintain equipment. This trend combines with others,
such as the proliferation of service relationships, to put more emphasis on
access than ownership, heralding a time when what companies sell will be human
experience itself and all cultural activities will be commodified.

Easy validation:
-headers removed.
-page numbers validated, blank pages labeled and numbered
-carefully spellchecked, quality excellent.

Jim Nuttall