[bksvol-discuss] Special Thanks to...

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:57:44 -0700

I don't know who you are but you do.

Special thanks to those volunteers who discretely came to Marty R.'s aid. It
takes confidence to ask what may feel like a "silly question" especially when
asked among experts. You made Marty feel right at home as a Bookshare
volunteer. Thank you.

It's stories of that kind of generosity that circulate among the in-house staff
and make them brag about you.

Here are bios from two more of you who have earned bragging rights: Debby
Franson and Jamie Prater

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department

Debby Franson

I'm a homemaker.  My husband, Bruce and I celebrated our 33rd wedding
anniversary last May.

When I was a child, I didn't do a lot of extra curricular reading.  I would
check out a braille book from our meager supply our school library had when
our class went to the library.  As I advanced through my grade school
years, there were few braille books at my reading level, so I'd read books
that were simpler than what I should have been reading.

I finally got into the NLS program in junior high, and felt that my
selection of reading material was much increased.  I developed a real joy
of reading in junior high with mostly talking books.

In 1981, I felt that the whole world of books was opened to me after going
to philadelphia to be trained to use an optacon, which allowed me to read
any printed material I could buy from a bookstore or book sale.  It's a
slow way to read each vibrating letter that passes under my finger when
compared to the speed of braille reading, but I can't imagine life without
it.  I have read a variety of books and catalogs for pleasure as well as
things I needed to read.

I got a scanner and OpenBook in 1994.  I had accumulated quite a few books
over the years, so I was never at a loss for reading material to scan.  I
loved the speed of reading, and, although I thought the recognition was
pretty good, I knew that OCR can't be perfect.

In 2005, a friend was telling me about Bookshare and that she was scanning
books.  I didn't quite understand what it was all about, so I visited the
web site, and decided it would be worthwhile to join.  I was almost
exclusively a member, though I would upload a few books here and there.  I
was thrilled with so many books available.  I found so many books I wanted
to read through searches as well as browsing the new books list.

When the new site was launched, I didn't submit any books, because I wasn't
a formal volunteer.  Last October, I decided that, if I wanted to start
submitting books again, I needed to join the volunteer community
officially.  I read the manual twice, since there was so much to absorb,
and then I signed up.  I'm glad I did.  I joined the volunteer discuss list
at the same time.

Before I joined up formerly as a volunteer and the list, I was a very light
Word user, since my writing is mostly done in e-mail.  I have learned so
much about Word from many kind and helpful list members as well as tips on
formatting to make the books I have proofread as cleanly formatted as I can
get them.  I read every word and format as I go along.

I have gotten back into scanning and submitting books also, which I enjoy
as much as proofreading.  I have become more conscious of formatting while
scanning also, such as when to recognize columns and when not to, such as
not to have that setting turned on while scanning the table of contents or
poetry.  The optacon is a great tool while scanning, because I have
corrected scannos or cut-off words by checking the hard copy.  I read what
I have scanned, because I want to read the book and, at the same time make
it easy for the people who are my proofreaders.  I have also submitted a
few cookbooks, and used it to make sure that all of the fractions are
correct, since OCR has a terrible time recognizing them.

I have met several volunteers through e-mail and chat who have enriched my
life.

Jamie Prater

I've been a member and have been volunteering for almost two years and have
thoroughly enjoyed proofreading clean children and juvenile literature as well
as Christian titles to the Bookshare library.

My first book was a child's book that I had read and I proofread it and added
it to the collection.  It thrilled me that because of me, one more book was
added that people could download and enjoy and the collection number was
higher.  Since then, I have enjoyed proofing books for the nature's children
set of books about many animals, some Christian romances of the love inspired
authors, and many books that Jamie Yates and others have  scanned for preschool
readers.

I remember what it was like not to have the number of books accessible to me
and to not be able to read to little kids when they would hand me a book, and
not to get to read all of what the other kids were reading, so Bookshare
involvement both as a member and a volunteer has changed my life in many ways.
I have downloaded recently some classics that I know I will need to read when I
a few months.  Bookshare will be a lifesaver for me then.

Thanks and have a blessed day.  To unsubscribe from this list send a blank
Email to