[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning "murder in the blood"

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:25:47 -0400

I would not bet on 2002 being old enough to escape the PQ axe. I really do not know when publishers first started making electronic files of their books to be ready for the computerized printers. I expect that it would be different dates for different publishers and I would expect that it would be earlier for large publishers which have a lot of resources, especially financial resources. In the mid-1990s I was acquainted with someone who was involved with the coordination of the digitalization of every title published by Pathfinder Press. At that time Pathfinder had just bought a new printing press. I think it was called a Galaxy 2000 or something like that. It was very expensive and Pathfinder is a small publisher with very limited resources. Since the profit motive is not their reason for existence they digitized their entire back list and the project was completed in a nationwide volunteer effort. I am pretty sure that as far as digitalization goes Pathfinder came in late. As I said, I don't know how old is old enough to be safe, but I would certainly think that it would be a book that went out of print before the 1990s.

"Those who produce should have, but we know that those who produce the most - that is, those who work hardest, and at the most difficult and most menial tasks, have the least." - Eugene V. Debs

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com