[bksvol-discuss] Re: Next Science Fiction Club Meeting February 14

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:31:42 -0600

Yes,  the book is classified excellent.  However,  I did scan it many
years ago,  and I am not sure if  it's up to today's QC standards.  G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
01/11/2008 08:00 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Next Science Fiction Club Meeting February 14

Hi All,
We had a lot of fun last night at the Science Fiction Club discussing the
classic Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and deciding what to read for
next month. The next meeting is set for Thursday, February 14 at 9 p.m.
Eastern, 8 p.m. Central, 7 p.m. Mountain and 6 p.m. Pacific and we came up
with a book eminently suited for long winter nights - a big sprawling
disaster novel, Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. These
guys have written quite a few blockbuster bestsellers and this is one of
their most popular collaborations. The Bookshare version is rated
"excellent", and although I haven't had a chance to examine it yet, since
it was submitted by Guido Corona, I am highly confident that "excellent"
really does mean excellent in this case. I've pasted the well written
short synopsis below.

The meeting will be in the Friends of Bookshare Community Room. Just go
to:
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e
So bring your favorite refreshments and join us next time.

The book is at the following link:
http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=18316

This is my first time posting one of these announcements, so if I get
anything wrong or have left out something important, I hope Pat or one of
the other moderators will correct any errors.

Short Synopsis of the Book
The gigantic comet had slammed into Earth, forging earthquakes a thousand
times too powerful to measure on the Richter scale, tidal waves thousands
of feet high. Cities were turned into oceans; oceans turned into steam. It
was the beginning of a newIce Age and the end of civilization. But for the
terrified men and women chance had saved, it was also the dawn of a new
struggle for survival—a struggle more dangerous and challenging than any
they had ever known.