[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Horror Book Club

  • From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:30:01 -0800

Welcome to the New Year everyone,

The horror book club, hosted by the Friends of Bookshare:

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org

meets the last Thursday of each month, in the Friends of Bookshare Community Room, which can be reached by visiting:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

This month we will convene on January 31st. Meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. Pacific, 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

As the calendars are replaced, and resolutions are kept or discarded, the horror book club will be doing its part to join in the renewal that comes with each passing year. In that spirit, we felt it only appropriate that we focus on a new talent in the horror field. This month, we will be discussing Joe Hill's only published novel, Heart-Shaped Box. Judas Coyne is a collector of the macabre: a cookbook for cannibals...a used hangman's noose...a snuff film. An aging death-metal rock god, his taste for the unnatural is as widely known to his legions of fans as the notorious excesses of his youth. But nothing he possesses is as unlikely or as dreadful as his latest discovery, an item for sale on the Internet, a thing so terribly strange, Jude can't help but reach for his wallet.

I will "sell" my stepfather's ghost to the highest bidder...

For a thousand dollars, Jude will become the proud owner of a dead man's suit, said to be haunted by a restless spirit. He isn't afraid. He has spent a lifetime coping with ghosts - of an abusive father, of the lovers he callously abandoned, of the bandmates he betrayed. What's one more?

But what UPS delivers to his door in a black heart-shaped box is no imaginary or metaphorical ghost, no benign conversation piece. It's the real thing.

Heart-Shaped Box is available on Bookshare by following this link:

http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=42693

In addition to the novel, we will discuss Hill's short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts. Though the book cannot be found on Bookshare, it can be purchased from:

http://www.audible.com

In fact, you can cherry pick what you read, as many of the stories are available from Audible as individual purchases. We are currently in the process of scanning 20th Century Ghosts for submission to Bookshare. Check back regularly to the Bookshare New Books page:

http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksNew.html

to find out if the book has become part of the collection.

If you would like to find out more about the horror book club, or if you have any suggestions or comments, contact Scott Blanks at:
mailto:scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx

As always, many thanks go out to Cindy Warford for her dedicated work to help the horror book club flourish.