[bksvol-discuss] I am doing Caine's reckoning

  • From: "robert tweedy" <roberttweedy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:20:23 -0600

Carrie, I need page 66. Here's what was scanned.
66

SARAH McCAilTY

wouldn't listen to her, let alone believe her. ' ici was the word of one deranged woman compared u. riie word of so many upstanding citizens.-' When push came to shove, he'd back James, the sheriff and the court who'd given her to them.

Caine's "Can't say that I have" caught her totally by surprise, the same way Tracker's "Bullshit" and Sam's "For Christ's sake" did. Usually, when men came up against James's confidence and smooth manner they went along with him. Caine and his men were the first who hadn't, and she didn't care if it was their naturally perverse nature or genuine belief that drove them to do it. She was just glad they had. It gave her a minute more of hope.

James looked her up and down, the concern i ? vcr i< aving his expression, but that twitch at the corner oi his eye let her know that he was annoyed. He stepped in, holding his hand up to Caine. If Caine hadn't chosen that moment to hook his foot over her ankle, she would have kicked James in his teeth.

"James Haddock. D<sd> nii.;u, guards.,;. And I'm glad she's been having a good day

Caine made no effort to shake James '.s hand. "I wouldn't exactly call it 'good.'"

"That probably wasn't the best choice of words."

If anvthing. the solid wail >f musok- ,-.?::;> invi r-cr He <?o\ hardr ' Y . tilted her headbaf'-:. Crarv.-v."< sY>"Y- ... [:. ? ?-?.iih lh.ii impassive uc;-1!::. .. -\. s:\ny nothing, lohim or to her.

"What would be a better choice?" Caine asked, his finger touching her cheek, the calluses on his fingertip feeling strange against her skin before recurving his hand round Her shoulder. Though it w.is illogical, she felt safer with it there.

"Stable maybe?" James's sigh was sympathy personified as he stepped back. Behind him, spectators gathered. Most of

Skype contact bobwichitaks phone 316-524-5454