[bksvol-discuss] Hooked On Books Is Back Tomorrow, Tuesday, 1-8-08

  • From: "Pat Price" <patlprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Volunteer list " <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:47:09 -0500

Hello everyone,

First, let me say that I hope you had both a happy and joy filled Christmas
and New Year celebration with those you love most.

Now that the holidays are behind us for another year, it is time to return
to another love we share, and that is exactly what Hooked on Books is all
about.

Tomorrow at 11 A.M. pacific, noon Mountain, 1 P.M. central and 2 P.M.
Eastern time, we will begin the new year with a new book. Let me tell you
just a little bit about what we will be reading together.

Karen E. Bender's debut novel, Like Normal People takes place over the
course of just one day, but as some days often do, it has profound and long
lasting effects for the characters. On the day in question in this novel. a
48 year old mentally challenged woman decides to change her life by leaving
her comfortable home in which she lives with her widowed mother.
Accompanying her on this journey is her troubled 12 year old niece. Why has
she chosen this step? What will the two of them do while gone? How will
those left home both to wonder and to worry deal with this sudden surprise?
Is it sudden at all?  What will Lena and her niece discover about
themselves? How can life ever return to normal again? Does Lena have
longings  and dreams to realize that will require  new levels of
understanding and growth her mother will  struggle with which to come to
terms? How will this affect her mother's view of her own life? How much does
letting go and accepting change affect a   mother's  feeling of being needed
and her place in the world? What does letting go cost?

Come feel with me what Karen's characters feel! Together, Karen  Bender will
share with us what a family learns about growth and love and need, but the
journey there will rock the foundation of life as they have known it.

All of this can be experienced  when you join us in the Friends of Bookshare
In between The Bookends room by going to the link below.

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs83ce590a4853

I promise to do my part to give you a pleasurable afternoon. Relax, bring a
hobby you can do while listening. I look forward to reading to you there!

If you have questions, please write to me at:
Bonnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx