[bksvol-discuss] Glutton for punishment proofer wanted

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:03:55 -0700

Hi everyone,

I usually just toss my scans onto the list and let anyone proof them. But the book I just finished is a special case and probably needs someone that can put extra attention to detail. It is a novel but it has over 150 footnotes (actually they are endnotes). Almost none of the numbers for the footnotes scanned except as double quotes. I've gone through and think I found where all the numbers belong and put them in as superscript. However, after that I can't bear the thought of going through it again to make absolutely sure all are there. At least the proofer doesn't have to worry about formatting footnotes at the end of the page since they are all collected at the end of the book as endnotes. But there may be problems even in the endnotes because sometimes MS Word noticed that the page had several numbered items so it converted the page to a numbered list. But the bookshare converter doesn't see the numbers when they are converted to an MS Word numbered list. Again, I think I have found all those cases and removed the list formatting and put back in the regular numbers but can't bear the thought of a double check.

As I said, I think I found all these bad boys and have corrected them, but I've missed a thing or two before that proofers found. So if anyone wants to volunteer for this task, please send me an email and I'll put the book up with "Hold for you" in the title.

Oh, by the way the book is "But What of Earth?" by Piers Anthony. The footnotes are because this was one of his earliest novels and he had a particularly hard time with the copy editors which prevented him from using this book as a jumping off point for several of his later books (and these days science fiction fans know very well how much he likes linked series).

Thanks,

Misha
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.