[bksvol-discuss] Re: Computer braille versus contracted braille

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 21:36:48 -0400

Hi Terry,
Ah, yes, I see. I could get computer braille from Bookshare in Word format and let my Pac Mate do the contracting. It actually has a pretty good on-the -fly braille translator in it.
I really never thought about doing that.
The one thing about getting the braille translated by Bookshare is that, if I don't like how they did a contraction, I can fix it. For example, they put the grade 2 form of the word "were", dots 2-3-5-6, in front of a double dash. Now I was always taught that that sort of thing is a no-no, and it just doesn't look right to me. So if I encounter something like that, I fix it by writing w er-sign e. It just looks right, and I have trouble leaving stuff like that alone. Fortunately, I don't encounter things like that a whole lot, else I'd get very little reading done. <smile>
I was just talking to someone today about how those who do not read braille are at a literary disadvantage. I can often see it in the emails they write. I can tell someone who really doesn't read much if at all because they'll write words that are spelled correctly but are not right, such as "sense" for "since". A spell catcher would not snag something like that, but an actual reader would catch it immediately. Anyone who actually reads braille much would never make that kind of mistake..
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Terry A Gorman (Redacted sender "t.gorman" for DMARC)
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2019 9:19 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Computer braille versus contracted braille

Hi Evan,

When mention was made of the availability of Word as a Bookshare format it
came up that some people might prefer the contracting done by their
paperless devices to that done by the Bookshare converter. Paperless devices
probably use different Grade 2 converters from the one Bookshare uses. I use
computer braille only for foreign language material and certainly like you
prefer grade 2 for reading literary braille. I have to admit that at age 71
I like to listen to books a lot but have problems falling asleep to voice
reading so for that reason I still prefer braille. Braille keeps me awake
and on my toes! Plus you don't learn the spellings of anything when
listening.

Terry Gorman
Tandem bicyclist & Bookshare volunteer

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.