[bksvol-discuss] Re: British English

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:34:36 -0400

If you read a book in British English with a screen reader you probably will not know the difference. If you do it by eyesight you will only note that some of the spellings are different and it will in no way slow you down. It is very clear what the words are even if they are spelled different. If you read it in Braille I don't know. I understand that British Braille is a bit different from American Braille, but I doubt that it is so different that it is unreadable. As for the difference in spelling, that mostly is that words that end in o r in American English will end in o u r in British English, that a lot of words that end in e r in American English will end in r e in British English and that there is a paucity of the letter Z in British English. For the most part where the letter Z appears in American English the letter S is used in British English. That is mostly it, but I think there might be some difference in some diphthongs too.

On 10/8/2012 1:21 PM, Dornetta wrote:
Ann;
Why would you say that--I'm making it harder than it is?
What is was saying was this...I have never read a book in British English
and if I did, I didn't know. I don't think that I would willingly read a
book in that format because it is confusing to me and when I read Marilyn's
post, it heightened my confusion. Perhaps, I could "read" up on British
English at some later point but not right now--way too much on my plate. My
thought and worries and was just making a comment is all in the earlier
post.
Netta