[bksvol-discuss] Book Submitted: Odor of Violets

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:45:42 -0500

Hey you all, first of two books to be submitted tonight.

Odor of Violets
By Baynard Kendrick

This book was a paperback, and a hard book to find, but scanned fairly
well... should be a upload download validation.  The letter was left in the
book but isn't exactly readible, I marked it with four **** so it could be
found.  I leave it up to the validator to decide whether to keep the letter
or not.  Besides that it is a pretty clean validation.  I fixed all the
errors I could find.

And I kept the ad in the back.  If anyone knows when you could buy a
paperback book for $.25 and this included shipping we will know how old the
book is.  it is very old, and in surprisingly great shape, but... still I am
curious.

Anyway here is the book jacket, and the book is under the .rtf section of
the website.
From the Book Jacket

What this Mystery is about -
     A paragraph in a GOSSIP COLUMN which quickly causes two violent deaths
... A blood-stained brass POKER upon which a queer young man deliberately
places his own fingerprints ... A set of very important PLANS written in
Braille to which clings a faint odor of violets ... A pair of expensive
fur-lined GALOSHES which  are too small for a lovely lady to wear. ... A
lady's GLOVE which mysteriously moves from a side table to the center of a
room ... A note written  in  VIOLET  INK which  causes  a  murder witness
to change her mind very suddenly ... A secret drawer in a man's desk,
delicately scented with VIOLET PERFUME ... The faint SMELL OF VIOLETS in the
limousine of a wealthy air plane manufacturer . . . The camel's-hair COAT of
a man who says he imports eggs from Australia . . . An ADVERTISEMENT from a
cosmetics concern which conceals a momentous secret . . . An Ediphone RECORD
carrying a message too dangerous to be telephoned.

Wouldn't You Like to Know-
  Why a battle-ax was used to cut off a pretty girl's head?
  Who answered the ring on a murdered man's doorbell?
  What was the strange and sinister significance of the re
curring
odor of violets?

 What the smell of gasoline had to do with the smell of
violets?
 What was the deadly message concealed in the innocent-looking selling
letter?
 By what blind magic Duncan Maclain solved the letter
secret?

 Why the untrimmed Christmas tree was removed from the
porch to edge of the road?

 How a nation was saved from disaster because a blind
man's brain retained curious oddments of fact?

YOU will learn the answers to these questions-and a dozen more-in this
breath-stopping story of the strangest and most spectacular case ever solved
by Captain Duncan Maclain, the brilliant private detective who is totally
blind yet amazingly effective.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council