[bksvol-discuss] Re: Another Scanno

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:17:18 -0400

Dear Marty

A broken bar looks like two short, vertical lines, one above the other with a small space between. Another way to imagine it is like two dashes with a space between them, rotated so they are vertical instead of horizontal. A dash is a short horizontal line.

If I were proofing without a copy of the print book I'd delete that broken bar because I'd conclude it was a scanno which wasn't put there by the author or publisher.

To get rid of all of them in word 2003, if I kept finding them I'd:

1. Highlight the broken bar by placing the cursor after it and pressing shift and left arrow to select it.

2. Copy the highlighted broken bar to the clip board with control co.

3. press control he for global replace,

4. paste the broken bar in the first field using control vs..

5. press alt with letter a witch will replace all broken bars in the book with nothing.

Things like broken bars, slashes and other characters that seem like mistakes in the text are called junk characters. When I encounter them I follow the steps above to get rid of them.

You need to be careful, though. For example if you are proofing a recipe book, and saw a slash mark in the wrong place, you wouldn't want to make all of the slashes vanish because later, as part of fractions they are part of the text and therefore not junk. By reading the book you'll hear which punctuation marks belong and which don't make sense.

It is by actually reading the book, in my case listening using jaws with all of the punctuation turned on, that I hear the junk and know by context that it doesn't belong.

Often, vertical lines like the broken bar, lower case law, number 1, and lower case or capital I appear because the book wasn't held down flat enough on the scanner. The shadow of the crease of the binding was seen by the OCR as characters that contain vertical lines.

Your common sense will alert you when you encounter something odd that makes no sense in the text. By deleting the junk, you're improving your book.

Always with love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: <MOHR@xxxxxxx>