[bksvol-discuss] Re: Alibris vs abebooks?

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:41:00 -0500

First of all, thanks for giving me another place to buy books!  I love
having options.

I just did a quick look around abebooks.com and discovered the following:

1.  It seems to be a little easier to navigate than Alibris.com just because
it is not as full of links on every page.  So it's easier to get to where
you want to be.
2.  When I compared prices of the books I just purchased from Alibris, it
seems that the new books are a little more expensive on abebooks as well as
some of the used books.  However, some of the used books on abebooks were
about the same price as Alibris, and they had used copies of a couple of
books I had to buy new from Alibris.
3.  The potential for free shipping without a minimum purchase amount is
awesome.  I think Alibris only offers free shipping on books that ship
directly from their own warehouse and there is a minimum purchase amount of
$49.99 or sometimes $25.00.  I've never seen free shipping as an option when
purchasing from any of Alibris' family of booksellers.

Just as a total aside, when I first read your message and went to explore, I
typed in apebooks.com.  And of course, it's a web site, only it's for comic
books!  <grin>

Thanks for sharing this new find for books!

Donna