[AR] Re: venting (was Re: Re: Falcon 9 flight today)

  • From: John Schilling <John.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 01:34:44 -0700

Henry Hallam<henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Henry Spencer<henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>The crystals wouldn't last long even when not in sunlight, because the
>nice warm Earth filling almost half the sky is, if anything, even more
>important to the thermal balance of something in LEO.
As a small aside, this makes passive thermal control of small
satellites in LEO*really easy*.

If you want the satellite to be roughly warm-Earth temperature, yes.

I had a really good proposal for a constellation of IR sensors on 3U cubesats
that foundered on the fact that it is, yes, **really easy** to make a small
satellite in LEO maintain a roughly warm-Earth temperature, which for that
application was not the right temperature.

    John Schilling
    john.schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (661) 718-0955