[AR] Vortex Ring Decelerators

  • From: David McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 12:38:11 -0500

    Well, this is an interesting amateur experiment (8-min video):  https://youtu.be/saWIxN05QFU

    Although I don't entirely agree with his conclusions as to why we don't see them in use by NASA.  My off-the-cuff thought is that you either want to avoid spinning the payload on the way down, or the issues involved when /multiple/ chutes are required -- spinning parachutes, used in pairs/triples/more seem awfully likely to tangle each other up.

    The other "obvious" reason would seem to be that, just looking at it, a VRD is probably harder to pack and deploy reliably, which probably explains why we don't see them in amateur rocket use (that I've ever seen, anyway).  When you need reliability above all else (and simplicity a close second), I imagine a VRD wouldn't offer enough benefits to outweigh the risks.

    That said, it sure /looks/ cool.  And seems to have better oscillation stability.  Would it have better wind immunity as a side effect?