[AR] Re: The damned thing flew!

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 12:35:18 -0700

FWIW, I believe the "first" being claimed is, first significantly throttleable staged-combustion engine to fly.

Given Raptor first fire was just last February - with green vaporized-copper streaks and concussively rough shutdown at that - this is amazingly fast progress.  Engine plume looked rock-steady in the vids.  Overall a major vindication for SpaceX's approach of take a first stab FAST, see what breaks and fix it and try again FAST, repeat as needed.

Not that that's a new approach.  But in the spacecraft development world, it's a radical break from the "simulate and study for years before ever doing anything real-world lest it visibly break and end up on the evening news" approach NASA has drifted into since Apollo.  Because, what's been missed by this sim-and-study-for-years-first model is that by far the quickest and most accurate sim for something as complex as a high-performance rocket is 1 to 1 scale analog...

Henry

On 7/26/2019 10:52 AM, James Fackert wrote:

Spaces starhopper lifted off and landed. Second baby step., And the kid will be running high in a month or so.
Incredible achievement in record time.
First full cycle engine (?) to fly. Ever.
It amazes me that they do this liftoff without a flame trench...
???

jim fackert