[AR] Re: Rocket data logger

  • From: KEN BIBA <kenbiba@xxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:55:45 -0700

Edison is a really interesting device.   We flew them recently as payload as
Intel flew Edison based Cansats at ARLISS 2014 as part of the Edison product
launch.

Dual Core x86 based Atom processor (with a smaller, C programmable controller
with an RTOS for real time events).   5GB NAND memory and 1 GB of RAM.
Bluetooth and 802.11n WiFi (at 20 dBm Tx power!).   Linux OS.    Can be
programmed with Arduino IDE as well as C, C++, Python ... and all the usual
Linux tools.

Sparkfun has a VERY interesting set of small (1.8"x1.2") accessory boards that
stack off the Edison module - including a 9DOF board for $35.   A LiPo battery
board.  ADC.   OLED display.  I2C.  ADC.    microSD.   A finally an extension
board that emulates Arduino and takes Arduino shields.
https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/272

Smaller, faster than RaspPi.   More powerful than Arduino.    Compatible with
Arduino if you insist.   Cheap.   Intel's play for the Internet of Things.
Likely around for a while.

For what it is worth ... we are using WiFi for CanSat telemetry on several
educational programs .. and at 20 dBm ... with a decent $80 Ubiquiti ground
station - you can get WiFi telemetry to about 20k' AGL ... and not work very
hard.