[AR] Re: Mulready on Engine Development at P&W (was Re: SSTO

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:44:52 -0700

On 3/18/2018 6:40 PM, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:
I wish I'd read this before I walked into project-managing a tech-demonstrator engine for NASA.  ...it certainly would have eased the pain, knowing others had been through the same customer ordeals before.

If you want customer ordeals, wait for the SSME chapter. :-(

Mulready mentions in an early chapter how NASA took P&W's high-pressure staged-combustion technology and handed it to an unnamed competitor (Rocketdyne, of course) for the SSME contract.

I expect much more deja vu when I get to that chapter, yes.

The NASA XCOR methane lander-engine demo was schizophrenic that way.

It started out with NASA having no problems whatsoever with our having reserved rights to our tech in the original contract. Our winning was apparently regarded as a fluke of poor RFP wording, to be endured till they could get a *real* rocket engineering house on the next round, and our claimed tech performance likely a figment of our imaginations.

Then the test results started coming in, and denial ensued - we *must* have some problem with our measurements to get efficiency and stability results that good.

Then once we prove the measurements were good, after a bit of time for it to sink in they started trying for all they were worth to weasel out of - or just ignore - the "our tech coming in remains OURS" contract clauses. I spent a lot of hours watching for and swatting evasion efforts in the last few months of that program.

It never occurred to them to just ask us how much for a limited non-exclusive license to the tech. I expect it would have been stunningly affordable, by their lights. But apparently that simply wasn't a thinkable thought in their institutional culture. All Your Tech Are Belong To Us, period.

The followon RFP essentially mandated giving up to NASA all proprietary tech involved. We therefore didn't bid. (Aerojet then built them the film-cooled motor NASA thought they wanted, and by dint of turning down the film-cooling to where the motor was seriously eroding, managed to show combustion efficiency only ~3% short of ours and ~2% short of the NASA 355 second projected Isp spec.)

Henry V