[AR] Re: Malori Blue

  • From: Terry McCreary <tmccreary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 19:29:55 -0500

My understanding is that milori (sp) blue is one of the "iron blues".  I've heard it stated that milori is simply another name for ferric ferrocyanide AKA prussian blue; I know I've seen the name somewhere in the past and it referred to prussian blue. Prussian blue is C18Fe7N18, or Fe4(Fe(CN)6)3.  Perhaps the entry in PEPCODED is simply incorrect---it certainly wouldn't be the first one.

From Brittanica, which isn't entirely reliable:

*Prussian blue*, any of several deep-blue pigments that are composed of complex iron <https://www.britannica.com/science/iron-chemical-element> cyanides and hence called iron blues. The most common of these pigments are Prussian, Chinese, Milori, and toning blue. Prussian blue has a reddish tint and is used almost exclusively in paints, enamels, and lacquers; Chinese blue is very dark, with a greenish tint, and is favoured for use in printing inks; Milori blue has a reddish tint; toning blue is dull, with a strong red tone. All these pigments are chemically similar, differences in shade arising from variations in particle size and details of the manufacturing process.
Prussian blue is an interesting burn rate catalyst for APCP.  Some years back I had one of my students do a research project involving it.  She prepared propellants containing 0.1, 0.3, 1, and 3% prussian blue.  The burn rate of a rather ordinary APCP with 1% PBlue was on the order of half an inch per second, at about 600 psi.  The exponent was around 0.6 if memory serves.  We never tested the 3% mix...she was willing, I wasn't. :-)

Best -- Terry

On 7/8/2019 5:03 PM, Barry Jolly wrote:
Ammonium ferricyanide <https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Ammonium-ferricyanide>

    Ammonium ferricyanide

Ammonium ferricyanide | C6H12FeN9 | CID 17756739 - structure, chemical names, physical and chemical properties, ...

<https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Ammonium-ferricyanide>

On Monday, July 8, 2019, 5:01:29 PM EDT, info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Guys,

What is this compound shown in one of the PEPCODED lists?

1127 malori blue                    4h  1c 7n  2fe          +394 .0665

The name is suggestive of Ammonium Ferricyanide (prussian blue) which has
all the same elements but the ratios are all wrong.
Trying to imagine a structure for it is foggy but clearly it has little, if
any, cyano in it.  It seems it would be very strained and probably unstable.

The heat of formation says its sexy.
The high nitrogen content says BANG!
The Iron says it could be a good burn rate catalyst.
An exotic/expensive nitrogen compound if it even exists.

It certainly looks interesting.
Doesn't show up in google.  A Chemspider elemental compound search yields
nothing for this combination.

What is it?

Thank you,
Tony S. Colette