[AR] Re: Liquid Hydrogen Nose Cones (Re: EXOS Sarge 3 launch)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 23:06:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019, Paul Mueller wrote:

I haven't worked with LH2 since the mid-80s so I'm pretty far out of the loop. It could make a nice big bang but otherwise is pretty hard to see when it burns, especially in daylight. Don't know if the Apollo-era NASA guy I used to work with was pulling my leg, but he said they would look for leaks/fires in the ground equipment by holding a broom out in front of them!

Hydrogen flames are definitely pretty hard to see in daylight, and what little there is to see is thought to be the result of impurities (maybe traces of sodium in particular). The Saturn-era broom story appears in "Stages to Saturn", the NASA History book on Saturn development (in the discussion of ground tests of the S-IV and S-IVB); they also used IR video cameras but those weren't considered foolproof.