[AR] GN2 vs. LOX (was Re: Re: Portland State Aerospace Society)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:04:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, David Gregory wrote:

The main issue to be avoided is the extraordinary solubility of GN2 in liquid oxygen. I don't have my references handy but it's something like 2:1 by mass (2 lbs of gn2 disolves in 1 lb of lox). It's not condensing, it dissolving like CO2 into soda.

There's no meaningful distinction here between condensing and dissolving, actually. (E.g., gas condensing to liquid releases heat, but so does gas dissolving in liquid.) Especially not for a case like N2 and O2, where the liquids are miscible in all proportions, so there is no sharp cutoff.

How much GN2 will end up in the liquid depends on details, notably how cold the LOX is and how well-stirred the gas and liquid are, but it can be a lot and it can be only a little.