RE: Exchange 2000 Migration

  • From: "Chuck Smith" <chucks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:07:49 -0400

SBS is a funny thing. It wants to be the only DC in the domain. The best thing
you can do is this. I do this on a regular basis for my clients.

1) run Exmerge on the SBS server. (you can find this utility on the Exchange
2000 CD) This will create a directory full of PST files that are named to your
aliases
2 ) connect to the sbs server with your new server and copy the dataa from the
old server to the new one. Including all of the PST you just created
3) finish the AD install on the new server.
4) Install exchange 2000 on the new server
5) Recreate the user accounts with the same aliases as they were on the SBS box
(I know this stinks but It's the only way I've successfully pulled this off)
6)run Exmerge again and import all of the mail data