[procps] Re: top / procps-ng-3.3.7 - no screen cleaning at exit?

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:11:30 -0500

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 11:31 -0500, Jim Warner wrote:
> Unless I'm mistaken, when exiting top the only time there is display
> "corruption" is when one has resized the terminal after starting top.
> And for that you must thank your terminal emulator.

Hi Jaromir,

I had no prior experience with the screen program, but I've got a little
more insight now...

As it turns out, screen is reporting to top that the terminal has the
'enter_ca_mode/smcup/ti' capability yet that window manager does not
mirror the normal behavior when you quit top.

So if you want top to behave as he would outside of that screen program,
then the only way I've found so far is to provide a terminal definition
without that capability.

For example, I compiled a definition for xterm without enter_ca_mode,
named it screen.xterm and placed it with the other
'/usr/share/terminfo/s/' definitions.  Then top acts just as he did
under 3.3.6 (and as he will when a terminal truly doesn't provide
smcup).

Regards,
Jim