RE: OWA configuration

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:02:21 -0700

> We have Exchange 2000(Enterprise). We received and send mails thru a
> firewall. OWA internally is working fine but now I have to setup OWA so
> that external users can access their mails from the internet. Is it fine
> to setup a front end server for OWA access and hook it up to the outside
> world so external users can access the internal exchange while we continue
> to send and receive mails thru the firewall. Thanks for any help.

It is never recommended to have any server, even if only front end, exposed
to the Internet without being behind a firewall.

You can either all OWA to be accessible through the firewall, or create a
DMZ zone and put the front end there.

While ISA server is the best choice for publishing Exchange and OWA, any
true firewall should be able to allow access to OWA.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You
www.eservicesforyou.com