RE: Connecting to Exch2003 with Outlook

  • From: "Jamie A. Byrnes" <jabyrnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:25:54 +0930

Hi Ryan,

As far as I understand using outlook to access exchange requires domain
authentication. OWA can be set to use basic authentication
(username/password dialog box) but I don't think this applies to
outlook.

You don't say whether the remote users are dialing in to your network or
accessing it across the net. If across the net you will be required to
open some ports (like RPC). While a Q article explains how to change
these ports to other higher (unknown) ports I would not recommend doing
this as a simple port scan could show them up, and security by obscurity
has never worked for long. Instead look at a robust VPN solution if you
want/need to do this. Note that RPC is fairly unworkable below about
40K/sec.

Jamie.